View Single Post
Old 10.09.2016, 10:07 AM   #19737
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

see, as a 'murrican, i was mystified that an old fat man with a 3" razor could wreak so much havoc in a multi-person household plus a dog, unopposed. that was all along the vaguely implausible part to me.

so all along we're trying to figure out why she acts so stupid and how can it all go so wrong and why things don't make sense and what we'd do in case of a home invasion (i mean, tales of horror are some kind of mental vaccine)

so while it's all gory and shit we're basically saying-- that dude comes to my house, i'm the one with the shotgun and he doesn't last 10 seconds. and stuff like what a shit friend that hides and does nothing, it's too late for the phone etc etc.

so i'm like-- this is your basic serial killer, but he's maybe only scary in france where people think of the phone as their salvation whereas in my rural environs people have signs outside their ranches saying "we don't dial 911" and "trespassers will be shot" and shit like that. so, creepy guy, but quite manageable in real circumstances.

but then-- no! it's the fucking houseguest! uaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! aaaaaaaaaaa! no more house guests in my place ha ha ha ha.

so for me it worked on that level-- exploiting the fear of trust rather than the fear of poorly armed old fat serial killers having their way with defenseless elois.

i never took the film seriously as a reality, in the sense that i was watching for thrills and willing to accept any nonsense without questioning it. i had just watched nazi zombies come out of the snow earlier that day anyway ha ha ha. so it actually got way creepier for me with the multiple personality angle.

[eta: but i can totally see how it can be superfrustrating when you're invested in the storyline in a sort of ripley vs alien way]

END SPOILERS

speaking of dreams, and things like that-- MULHOLLAND DRIVE! every time i watch it i like it more-- started from near zero and now i find it really really good.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|