View Single Post
Old 08.23.2009, 04:40 PM   #14
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I think it is not a good gateway album. Like RR it is a more accessable album for people, but I think it is not quite a gateway album in the sense of that it does not prepare them for more core sonic albums like Sonic Nurse, 1000 leaves or DayDream Nation.. the sound on the eternal is not necessarily representative of the back catalouge of sonic youth albums so it sets perhaps false expectations for new listeners who might not like the sonic sound we like.

for example my introduction to sonic youth starts at 1000 leaves, so I like the 99-2005 run the best, but most boardies here prefer the 80s things like EVOL or Sister, which I like, but I do not prefer. My expectations were set around the sound from 99-2005 and that is what I prefer. The Eternal and RR represent the new era of sonic youth, which is very different in ways from previous eras, and so no, its not a gateway to get into sonic youth.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|