View Single Post
Old 04.13.2015, 07:42 PM   #9
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
I like Tim Burton's first Batman, and I like The Dark Knight quite a bit. I think the thing that I take away from the Burton version of Joker is how the whole toxic chemical origin of The Joker feels more like a Marvel origin story, since so many Marvel heroes and villains get mutated and altered by radioactivity or chemicals, it feels more like a Marvel standard than a D.C. standard. I think I do like the idea of The Joker being just The Joker, with no other alias, which the Burton film didn't do. I think Burton's Joker walked this line between creepy and campy. I know the big criticism of Nolan's Joker is that there is no fun with him, he's just all violence and mayhem with no fun, but being a fan of horror films I can appreciate that dark depiction of The Joker as well.

Yeah, Marvel origins are either overlong or whack as hell.

The story for Time Burton's Batman came right out of Alan Moore's Red Hood story. It was a one-off, much like Alan Moore's Death of Superman (from the '80s), and it didn't exist outside of the single issue.

I just always wanted to see the Joker done right, and even when the Tim Burton films were my holy grail of comic book adaptations, I felt shortchanged by the convenience of the story. Jack Napier?!? Come on. What a cop-out. Especially since by 1989, there were SOOO many kickass joker stories to pull from. Yeah it was a thin line between darkness and camp, but in the end it's just camp.

And Nolan's films had plenty of giggle moments. It's just that they were dramatic and intense and epic (rather than just "dark"), so those moments did little to soften the blow of the films as a whole. But Batman really was never intended to be a goofy funny fucker of a superhero. He's always had a dark, shadowy, Jungian feel to him. Nolan's films did things with the story that I thought couldn't be done. And for all the talk of Bane being a disappointment, he was actually bad as hell, and downright terrifying most of the time. Tom Hardy did an excellent job turning a ridiculous villain into a really goddamn unsettling one. Much like the Bane from Kinghtfall would have been, had he lost the wrestler mask and chosen his words a bit more carefully.

I guess I am kind of a rapid Batfan.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|