View Single Post
Old 09.14.2007, 10:07 AM   #76
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
To an extent you are pretty right, and it is true that there is way too much predictable pap doing the rounds both live and on record. The names you have mentioned are pretty spot on, but there are also people like Marclay or Jeck (to mention a couple of those deserving respect), who obvioulsy practice their craft before they go onstage or put records out. The problem with using all these loop machines, software etc is that there are countless people who simply start thinking that they got the job done WAY TOO QUICKLY, when they simply haven't learnt to master the recording process, let alone thinking of themselves as artists deserving to unleash music onto the world in general. This has lead to saturation point on the market for electronic music, as the tools got cheaper and cheaper and they get into the wrong hands on a daily basis. That caused the prolification of (horror) 'amateur sound people'
instead of 'musicians who use electronic means in order to create/compose'. A couple of weeks ago I went to this installation that had this guy pushing buttons on his laptop in a dark room, while what came out of the speakers was something that your La Monte Youngs or Tony Conrads have been pioneering with success for years. What struck me as being totally crap about it was the fact that the music was so synthetic and heartless that it completely missed aural qualities that a 'real' music instrument would have been able to produce in all its 'imperfect' glory. What I'm trying to say, to conclude, is that unless more and more musicians start bending electronics to their creative vision, if they really have any, this predictability of music created electronically (and non) will continue for years to come. Either you start seriously thinking of yourself as an artist, or all you will end putting out is countless amounts of tapes, cds, vinyl that have a few sound experiments that should heve been left to sleep on your hard drive. This is also a response to a post by atsonicpark that made my blood boil a few days ago.

ok, but i wasn't really talking about electronic music or people like marclay and jeck, i was specificly refering to the weird/psych folk bands who on record sound ok but then live just reveal themselves to be amateurs. fonal records type bands etc that all use loopstation pedals.
another good loopstation person is pamelia kurstin.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|