Thread: The Residents
View Single Post
Old 11.14.2010, 12:36 AM   #17
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I've got 70 albums by them and love them all. They're so fucking great! Literally. I wouldn't call them the weirdest band ever -- Omoide Hatoba, Malade de Souci, Sun City Girls, Caroliner, Renaldo and the Loaf, Cromagnon (the one who made "Orgasm", outsider "blackened" broken folk with plastic bucket percussion), and tons of other great bands are probably "weirder", in my opinion.. if that matters -- but I would say Residents are the best weird band. Like I said about the new Mike Watt album, Residents are one of the only other bands I would say created their own musical language. I'd say they're up there with Beefheart as the most inspiring, brilliant bands of all time, their influence felt everywhere, from tons and tons and tons of bands... Yet Residents are so damn musical.. so damn GOOD, period, like.. the studio trickery they use (listen to THIRD REICH AND ROLL; two songs in the same tempo playing in two different speakers.. sounds insane.. then everything will drop out but drums, and they travel from speaker to speaker and then the song just COMPLETELY changes.. stuff like that, awesome and seriously insane and brilliant). "Not Available" does for production what some of the Zappa stuff does. Then, something like "Title in Limbo" is SO immaculate and cleanly-produced AND so musical and just like nothing else ever made. They are like chameleons, another underrated element of their work.. there's so much depth... one listen is NEVER enough.. They're brilliant in truly headscratching mindblowing ways.. they're mostly known for their "wrong note" "off-key" "minor key" electronic burbles, but they've done every time of music known to man... they've supposedly had over 100 members... crazy eh.. Anywho, I'd say something was definitely lost when Snakefinger left the band; I think Title in Limbo was their only album with them, Snakey, and Renaldo and the Loaf all on the same album. It's one of my favorites by them, if not my absolute favorite, but it comes in the middle of a particularly dull (compared to the rest of their discography) period of the band, so it's kinda forgotten -- also, it has no particular "theme", but... that shoe salesman song alone is reason to pick the album up.

Residents for life.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|