Thread: Dirty or not
View Single Post
Old 11.24.2006, 05:00 AM   #5
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
dirty IS a great album, esp. when considering its easily accepted by first time fans.

which, just supports what sonic youth themselves (as well as countless critics) have mentioned time and time again about the album...that is was basically more or less a grunge (for lack of a better term) concept.

they were in need of more "rock based" songs in order to be able to gold their own when touring w/ mudhoney/nirvana etc etc (which were what was "going on" at the time)

most sy fans that note goo/dirty as being their fav SY albums ussualy have a difficult time in understanding sy's more "avant garde/noisey" works. they're ussualy more prone to appreciate other bands such as pavement or modest mouse over more controversial/experimental/avant acts such as sun ra, noveller, my cat is an alien etc etc etc.

which is fine. its safe music.

safety is fine.. . i just personally find it a bit boring.

-s.s.s.s.s.s.
That's all fine and dandy.It's not my favourite Sonic Youth album either and i certainly haven't got a problem with their more noisey/avant garde stuff.What i'm saying is that,purely in terms of it being one of their more 'commercial' albums,it still pisses all over most indie/experimental/whatever fanfare that gets released any day on any random year.The continous mention of Dirty as being their 'grunge' album is a tad tiresome in retrospect because this record still rocks quite differently from the great majority of the bands that are/were confined under that umbrella.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|