View Single Post
Old 02.07.2017, 11:35 AM   #136
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Got my 33⅓ book on MBDTF.

Guys, it's so small!

As I told evollove yesterday in a pm, the writing is ... kind like snarky music writing a la pitchfork mixed with fan fiction. Not excellent. Also, the author has an intersting (interestingly stupid) take on "George Bush doesn't care about black people" that I find borderline insulting, given the circumstances surrounding that event, and the (I'm sorry) unpleasant truth to what Kanye said. The author chooses to zoom in on Kanye's shaky voice and inability to articulate, ultimately calling the whole thing a missed opportunity to say something profound.

I believe this is not only inaccurate, but insensitive. Kanye is pretty obviously "on the spectrum" of Autistim, and he's been public about his mental and behavioral health issues. Mr. Princeton author is showing his stripes as a bit of an ignoramus, and also a shitty Kane West fan by displaying such poor judgment and lack of insight on this issue. One can't support Kanye's stupid beefs with Taylor Swift and condemn his ballsiest political statement, and expect to be taken seriously as someone who understands Kanye's music and what it means in a cultural and political context.

Kanye's lack of eloquence in speaking is not the result of a stupid mind. It's the result of a slightly unhinged one, one that doesn't always know how to handle social situations and interactions. But even if that wasn't the case... WHO THE FUCK CAN BLAME A GUY FOR HAVING A SHAKY VOICE WHEN HE'S CALLING OUT HE ORESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES IN FRONT OF THE ENTIRE WORLD?

So far, I'm enjoying this little thing more because I like reading about Kanye than because it's any good. Why the hell was he even talking about "GBDCABP" in fucking 2014? In a book about MBDTF? Katrina was already nearly a decade old when this book was published. Stay on track, Princeton!

Aaaaanyway, again, fun reading for a guy who enjoys reading about Kanye. Mostly well (or well-enough) structure sentences, even if the attempt to over-intellectualize is blatant and a failure.

Will comment more as I go.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|