View Single Post
Old 05.08.2017, 07:00 PM   #234
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogologogolo
The new Thurston Moore album is pretty good, despite it being his 50 billionth album

It's really only his fifth or sometning. You can't count the endless session singles and live singles and etc. and etc. as proper albums. Well, I guess you can, but... let's not.

It is pretty good. Sometimes it strikes me that there is pretty much nothing about his music that is challenging or extreme or even weird anymore. Like, I could probably play this album and The Best Day for my father and he wouldn't hate it. That's usually a sign that something's been normified, because my dad pretty much ONLY likes the Beatles, Steely Dan, Roy Orbison, Dylan and Frank Sinatra.

But other times I feel like the album has some nice buzzes and hisses. The middle point of "Cusp" comes to mind. Other parts make me think of the Velvet Underground. It's good for an artists whose best work is behind him. It's good in a general sense (better than any rock you'll likely hear on the radio). It's good, and I'm glad I bought it. But even in a quiet year, it's not Album of the year material.

(For reference, my father famously hated REM's "Leave" because it's "screechy." Why he continued to buy REM albums after they publically declared their intent to no longer sound like James Taylor, I'll never know. Also, the one time he actually accompanied me to a SY show -- sat waaaaaaay back and up in the bleachers and read the newspaper with his headphones on.)
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|