View Single Post
Old 12.29.2016, 06:47 PM   #63
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
viet cong were never half as good women were though, like that first record was solid but the cassette was unremarkable and the second LP seems a bit more...honest to me? not my style but their songs suit their sound a lot more, appropriately a bit more sluggish/atmospheric. it's obviously not as angry as their debut it's a lot more emotionally varied and mature, less angsty and more supremely bummed.

True, VC was never on the same level as Women. Women made one of the greatest rock albums of the decade. And another pretty goddamn good one. Gracefully updating noisey pop without giving too much of themselves away in the process (a la Deerhunter). I was just hopeful about Viet acing, and I think they delivered pretty sweetly on their self-titled.

I suppose I need to listen to Prepccupations more. There's a chance it will click for me, and I'll see what so many others see in it. That has happened to me before, many times, with albums I've initially written off. The VC album was too raw and of-the-moment to feel derivative or immature, but I can see how it would have been a little pathetic to make another album with that kind of sound. I can tell they went for a more spacious and textured sound on the new album, but so far it just hasn't hit me.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|