View Single Post
Old 09.22.2016, 03:23 AM   #46
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I don't really think Matador would try to impose stipulations on Kim's recording. Maybe I'm wrong, but even if it's changed, it's still Matador. That label owes its entire existence to Sonic Youth and the Fall. After all, what the hell would Slanted & Enchanted have been without Sonic Youth and the Fall to milk like crazy? (No offense to S&E.)

Also, since Kim's been at Matador, she's had quite a bit of autonomy. She's been able to release projects at her leisure, taking breaks in between, and she even put out an album on Burger earlier this year (Glitterbust of course). If Matador considered Kim some sort of cash cow, they wouldn't have let that slide. They're probably just thankful that when she does decide to release music (or promote other endeavors like her book), Matador will be attached to it. And they should be thankful. She's Kim Gordon.

Also, Body/Head certainly wasn't a big seller, but honestly, Sonic Youth didn't put out big sellers. Never even went gold! But they have a committed and loyal fanbase who buys everything possible, and they continue to be discovered by younger generations.

Body/Head's Coming Apart wasn't a #1 record, or even remotely close to being one. But it got great reviews and a lot of positive attention from big publications like Rolling Stone and Pitchfork. I'll bet they turned a decent profit off that record, and the live shows were well attended.

Kim (and Thurston, and Lee and even Steve) are legends. Their albums will sell enough to justify being kept on the roster of an independent label just because of who they are. When I was working at the local indie vinyl shop a few years back, the Best Day and Coming Apart and Chelsea Light Moving were all pretty popular. Not, like, Beyoncé popular of course, but they stayed on the "featured releases" shelf for months. Longer than most.

Just saying.
I don't know though. Maybe you're right.
Well, can you explain me, why Matador seem to lost interest in Lee? In Matador´s sites there are still mentioned Lee Ranaldo & Dust although I have got impression Dust doesn´t exist anymore (tell me if I am wrong). Also Thurston´s album was scheduled this year, now it´s next spring. Of course this all can be made by Lee & Thurston themselves, who knows.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|