View Single Post
Old 02.26.2012, 04:45 PM   #2861
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
--I've always had a "problem" with Centaur. Not sure why. Kinda boring, I guess. That one and Poorhouse Fair are my least favorites. Of course, they kick the shit out of 95% of anything anyone else could write. Plus, I'm sure I'll re-read them myself and probably change my mind.

--If you haven't been through all of Nabokov before, including his autobio Speak, Memory, may I recommend getting cracking on the unreads instead of Lolita again? None of my business; just a suggestion.

What's the one Hannah I should read first?

I love Speak, Memory. What else have I read? Transparent Things. Interesting, but not great. I think I tried Ada and got bored. That might be about it, actually. What Nabokov should I go to next?

Personally, I recommend starting with Geronimo. It's his most straightforward narrative, but it is a wild ride, pretty fantastical and sprawling. A great look at the South in the 1950s.

I like Ray a lot, though it's experimental. And his collection of short stories is fantastic--Airships. In fact, maybe start with that and Geronimo. You can delve into a few of the short stories between chapters of Geronimo.

You have to be in the right mood for Updike. I have to be very relaxed, willing to let him pile on the descriptive detail he loves so much. Once I "got" why he was using detail, I could enjoy it. His details don't always have to do with the plot or characterization so much as it is a celebration of the details in everything, the idea of trying to pay attention to everything, to taking in as much as you can.