View Single Post
Old 01.23.2017, 01:10 AM   #94
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
I did cover what the "inarguable" element was but you didn't seem to want to go into that.....my "inarguable" argument is that nine inch nails are crap because they've avowed to have emerged from a tradition to which they're ideologically contradictory: their music sounds like it's playing inside the goth section of hmv where you buy your marilyn manson gildan, which is not a problem, but to try and convince your acolytes that you're something more than that is not only an assault to their intelligence but so too the origins they claim to have come from. it's a bizarre idea that to coat your music in a thin layer of distortion invokes some sense of substance, and to try to reinforce this through visual signifiers because your music isn't capable of so doing is in my mind pretty pathetic.

it's not a matter of me taking things overly seriously, it's more that I see it as an affront to myself and my friends and the cultures I'm invested in when someone attempts to codify that in music which is entirely divorced from it out of some strange sense of insecurity. if something means something to me of course I'm going to defend it against people who're pretty concertedly obliterating it, whether conscious or not. and I'm not entirely sure there is any question as to whether nine inch nails have over the course of 30 years been doing exactly that.

// I was saying I have spoken about mariah carey...

But none of that is actually "inarguable." It's your entirely subjective opinion, and it's based on personal feelings.

Either way, you could pick a more diplomatic way of voicing your opinion. You could say, "I feel this way about this artist" without stinking on someone else.

Decisions, decisions.

By the way I have no clue what's in Hot Topic. I wasn't even acutely aware it was still a thing.

Anyway, moving on then...
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|