View Single Post
Old 10.08.2011, 05:32 AM   #46
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Mecha
Pretty good point. It's a real bare bones sounding album, which I guess is a big part of the appeal to me. It's definitely different from their others.

The really truly interesting thing about Jet Set to me though is that for all this time it has always felt like some secret album that no one ever really knows about but me. Like I'm the only one who knows about this album, and somehow that makes it really personal to me. Of course everyone does know about it, but you know what I mean.

I guess it's because no one ever really wants to talk about it. The band never plays songs from that album, no one will ever write a book specifically about it, I highly doubt it will ever be in anyone's top three sonic youth albums. The only time it ever gets brought up is in these types of threads where someone chimes in 'oh and by the way, what the hell is the deal with EJST&NS?'

So sure, probably one of the worst ones by default given it's competition, but there's still some secret mysterious aura about it that's fascinating to me. I might go put it on in a minute haha.

It's definitely one of those people don't mention often whenever discussing the band. And quite honestly, I seldom listen to it probably at least partially for that very reason...seldom am I led to think about it. Whenever I do listen to it, though, I always enjoy it. Was the third Sonic Youth album I owned (first: A Thousand Leaves, which is my favorite. second: Screaming Fields of Sonic Love, which back then served as a great introduction to some of the bands other material, but being that I own all that other material it serves little purpose for me these days. Either way, A great compilation). It definitely sounds and feels more so like some rare/jam session than anything....which, is appealing to me. I always loved the sleeve(ssss), too.

And what about those Winners Blues?