View Single Post
Old 06.15.2007, 10:25 PM   #62
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicorn Halfelven
Ok, let's say you have a band. You/your band stands for a movement that is against drinking alcohol, and smoking cigarettes, etc. Why book shows in places that make their money serving alchohol? And then demand that they stop doing just that? What the fuck is that? Play a goddamned VFW hall, play a community center or somebody's basement... I hate preachy straight edgers almost as much as I hate preachy christians.

The Evens played libraries, movie theatres, halls, car parks, and a bunch of unconventional places for live music. This was to dissociate rock and roll from booze. I read an interesting piece around the time I saw the Evens where Mackaye stated he wanted to do something different because everyone unintentionally considers rock and roll and alcohol as going hand in hand without even questioning the concept.

He doesn't drink, so why should he play a venue that are going to profit off alcohol sales merely because Ian Mackaye is on stage?