View Single Post
Old 08.31.2016, 03:24 AM   #102
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Evol. Sister. Daydream Nation. I'm not sure three more perfec albums have ever been released in succession by any artist. I'd throw Bad Moon Rising into that lot as well. I actually prefer it as an album to Evol. Sometimes BMR is pretty much my favorite SY album.

It's easy to kinda toss Goo under the bus, and say it belongs to another era entirely and shows the band stepping out of the underground and into less intellectual territory. But I love Goo (except for "My Friend Goo"... man I fucking hate that song, it's just a pimple on the album) and I consider it to be a great follow up to Daydream. If you just listen to the music of both albums, and don't let the art and photo ops and difference in aesthetic get in the way, it really makes sense. And it kicks fucking ass too. Some of their best tracks are on Goo... "Dirty Boots," "Tunic," "Disappearer," "Titanium Exposé"... fuck man. If not for "My Friend Goo," I'd say it was their fifth perfect album in a row.

I could (and will, if I don't watch myself) talk about this shit all day and all night and never get a goddamn thing done. I could ruminate about Sonic Youth's albums ad infinutum. So pardon my rambling.

Now I have an insane urge to listen to, like, every Sonic Youth album we've mentioned. All at once. And pontificate endlessly about all of them. So I should shut up and go do real life stuff before that urge takes over.
Nooo, to me BMR is not even close EVOL. BMR is of course great album like all the SY albums, but when bought it same time as EVOL, EVOL was the one I listened again and again, always listened BMR much less. I know BMR is important album to many SY fans, but to me it hasn´t ever been, I prefer even CIS and first more than BMR.

I think GOO is better than DDN, it´s less straightforward and a little bit back to the Sister stuff (Dirty is even more). Because talk of the almost every SY album, I think I will rate them again (I know there will be lots of disagreement about my list):
1. Sister
2. EVOL
3. ATL
4. Washing Machine
5. Made In Usa
6. Demonlover
7. Dirty
8. GOO
9. Murray Street
10. Nurse
11. Rather Ripped
12. DDN
13. Eternal
14. Nyc Ghosts & Flowers
15. Sonic Death
16. CIS
17. First
18. BMR
19. Experimental

Not put any SYRs into this even SYR9 is also soundtrack.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|