View Single Post
Old 11.12.2015, 01:21 PM   #264
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuj
I've been immersed in the Filth 3CD for the last month or so. I may have said this before, but the biggest surprise for me is how similar it is to recent output. I know that sounds crazy, because there are many obvious differences, but the "Swans Vibe" that I've come to know with Seer/TBK is very present right out of the gate. I'm not explaining this very well.

No, I get it. And yeah, I think you have mentioned this before.

And it makes me wonder: why exactly do you think it "sounds crazy" to say that there are similarities. I mean, yes, you're dealing with two very different time periods, "eras," lineups of the band, but it's still Swans.

I know a lot is made of the band's various styles and approaches, but the same themes have always been prevalent in their music. It's always been a collage of post-punk, noise, drone, industrial, dark Americana & southern gothic, apocalyptic & psychedelic folk, ambience and sludge.

It's no more crazy than finding parallels between Nurse and Daydream Nation, in my opinion.

Btw: where are you with your collection at this point? Have you investigated Soundtracks for the Blind? Burning World? Love of Life? Just curious, because I know you were just starting to venture out into pre-2010's stuff when you went awol.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|