View Single Post
Old 12.18.2012, 07:46 PM   #12
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster_bebop_junkie
In addition to Low's Christmas EP, which I tend to listen pretty often regardless of the season, I've been enjoying Mark Lanegan's "Dark Mark Does Christmas", a new self-released CD that was available at his most recent shows, consisting of lo-fi recordings of Mark singing Christmas carols in his notable sinister style.

Rivulets' song, "Christmas", is appropriate for the season, too, but I haven't listened to it this year...

I have listened to "Christmas Under Fire", by Elizabeth Veldon, a collage of sounds taken from Harry Watt's movie of the same name. Definitely an unusual thing, which might bother you if you're not into noisy music (Elizabeth has collaborated with Kylie Minoise in the past, in case you'd need an odd reference). You can see if you'd dig it and could even download for free in whatever digital format you'd prefer, or even buy one of the very strictly limited cassette tapes:
http://elizabethveldon.bandcamp.com/...mas-under-fire

Speaking of bandcamp, Flannelgraph Records' series of Christmas compilations, "The Holidays Don't Have To Be So Rotten", might be worth your time, if you are into buying music which would support good causes, and I'd say especially if you do have a sort of eclectic taste (there's tracks in those compilations by people with apparently disparate backgrounds like New Terrors, Ghost Kitten, Drekka, Dirty Beaches, Homecomings, Fox Hole, and Loren Connors, to name only a few):
http://flannelgraphrecords.bandcamp.com/

I'm feeling laziness to think deeper about anything else. I'm sure there are other threads on this subject that you could have read had you used the "Search" function thing which would have informed you. You still could do that, though... "Festive Greetings From Home Normal & Hibernate", with tracks by Listening Mirror & Alicia Merz (Birds Of Passage), Clem Leek, Konntinent, etc..., has been mentioned in the past, and there's not really any good reason to not check it out:
http://festivegreetings.bandcamp.com...te-home-normal

The other night I went to see a show by Alas de Mosca, which is a noise act from Mexico City formed by Alexandra Cárdenas (one of my favorite artists from here) & Alex Diego. Alexandra performed a Christmas-themed livecoding improvisation. Mostly the subjects of the other songs performed had to do with the current deplorable state of politics and the government around here, and I thought that was more remarkable and made more sense, and I enjoyed it the most.

Also, my thoughts are very disperse, but I think I must complement pokkeherrie's post by telling you that you just can't afford to omit The Smashing Pumpkin's "Christmastime" on your playlist. If you want to be just the coolest, you can go for the whole "A Very Special Christmas #3" compilation that includes it, so that you can have joyful holiday season songs by No Doubt, Natalie Merchant, Enya, Sheryl Crow, and Chris Cornell as well, and maybe that will hook you up with all the cheer you need.

I have made far too many Xmas playlists that include " Christmastime." They date back to the mix tape (the actual mix tape) and I don't want to retread old ground.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|