View Single Post
Old 10.21.2009, 05:14 AM   #24
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Leyland Kirby
by Joeri Bruyninckx

Ex-V/Vm prankster James Leyland Kirby made an ambitious triple compact disc album with the brilliant title ‘Sadly, the future is no longer what it was’. It’s a concept album about how our initial euphoric optimism about the world wide web eventually turned us all into isolated voyeurs.

When I first heard the title ‘Sadly, the future is no longer what it was’, I thought it was meant as a cynical remark. But when I started listening to the music itself, I understood that you were serious about it, which made the music more meaningful to me.
The title is very ambiguous. I think it mainly refers to the lack of spirit anymore for everything. There were times in the past when we all collectively seemed to have so much to look forward too, we were sold dreams via the media, the same media which now tells us we have nothing to look forward to and leaves most people living in fear. It’s about that lack of optimism and the fact that we seem to go backwards when in actual fact it’s a great time for many things. It’s about time we retook control of our future instead of having it mapped out for us. The title is also personal in many ways.

How?
At the start of recording my own future was not what it had to be and I had to adapt to that situation. It’s also more personal in the sense of its creation as it’s not based on any samples or reworking of existing audio. The Caretaker work for example always feels a little dislocated whereas the new work was created from nothing, so all of the piano playing, the melodies and sounds I worked on myself to create how I was feeling. It’s really an audio scrapbook of one calendar year from September 2008 to September 2009.

Why did you wait until now to release a record using your own name?
It’s the first time in all of the years that finally I am at a position so that whereby if I have an idea musically I could reproduce that idea in sound, technology wise now it’s never been better to be able to make music which we can connect to ourselves with, and yet many people out there seem to be focussing more on the technology they are using trying to outdo people with little tricks which when used usually sees the music actually get worse. I think this is where electronic based music seems to have lost its way right now, too many tools being used by too many fools who are following all the rules.

When I already feel sad and I listen to your music, it makes me feel less sad. Like my father once said that he never felt really alone anymore once he discovered the music of Bob Dylan.
A lot of people have been telling me that this music provides them with an emotional response, that is great, the intention was to create a body of work this time around, something which should stand the test of time that doesn’t rely on the sound of now, but relies on many things. There for sure is a hint of loss and sadness, but I feel through this there is still an optimism in there that things will work out in the end. A trust in life to sort itself through entropy. I just made a video which documents in a basic way that year, I will show it in England and it will be available to stream online soon, it uses the track ‘Sadly, the future is no longer what it was’ from the release.

The theme of isolation is one that often returns when you talk about this record. Like in this quote: “Here we stand, twenty years on from the first CD, and our optimism has been gradually eroded away collectively. 'Tomorrows World' never came. We are lost and isolated, many of us living our lives through social networks as we try to make sense of it all, becoming voyeurs not active participants. Documenting everything. No Mystery. Everything laid bare for all to see".
I think I am a realist, things aren’t working right now in society for many different reasons. I’m not a political man but I can see politics don’t work, people on the whole seem lost, tired and bored. Music has gone the same way, maybe it’s the overwhelming choice out there, but there seems to be no focus now from both people making things and also to those who wish to consume what is made. Current music seems devoid of ideas and of quality as it has become easier to make things so more make less and less music which is of any value. I am sure in the past I have been guilty of this too, but now it’s a good time to take more time and focus totally on the work coming out and take a little more time and care.

I think that the last ambient record I bought must have been ‘Select Ambient Works Vol. II’ by Aphex Twin. So your ‘Sadly, the future…’ record is my first ambient record in 15 years. Or don’t you see your record as an ambient record?
Ambient sadly was ruined in the 90’s with those awful chill out series of releases and Café Del Mar style CDs. What I have done with the new work will be seen by many as being ambient as it has taken many ambient reference points from the past using them with new technology. There are some interesting things happening in this field right now, the amazing work of William Basinski, the work on Ghostbox and Mordant Music, it’s great for me to be mentioned alongside their work and also to work in such an uncool field of music these days. Ambient is kind of dead but something new is happening again.

Do you still work at the tempo of one new track each day?
I can work very fast and very slow, it’s nice not to have the pressure of making something everyday, although I would like to have more time right now to make music. Day to day living and surviving gets in the way. Plus when you do more or less everything yourself, like mail order, contacting people who have mailed, promotion, distribution, it’s all consuming. Sometimes I wish I could just make the music and let somebody else deal with everything else as it would be so much easier, but it was never going to be easy for me anyway. I do the best that I can do with the one pair of hands I h
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|