View Single Post
Old 06.17.2013, 08:09 PM   #414
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
The lyrics are better than 99% of the music that pretends to be rap music these days, but I just don't really dig Kanye, neither his cadence or his approach, so I can tip my cap to albums like this, but I just ain't feelin it. I ain't feeling the beats, its not my steez, its that hyper-aggressive East-Coast style, more yelling than rapping. meh.

Here is what I want to know, why is the whole country jumping about this dude? I didn't get it when he blew up like 5 or 6 years ago, I don't get it today. I appreciate that the brotha brings some substance to pop err.. rap music, but really, that substance gets lost in translation across the millions of folks who really don't give a shit and just want to bump. If I want some pseudo-conscious political rap, I'll bump that DP y'all

You sound like me, almost exactly, before I found myself listening to MBDTF from beginning to end during one of those work days where your eyes never leave the screen, you work for ten hours, and leave feeling totally lost and behind.

I honestly think that Kanye has universal appeal because he's so charming, so inventive, so genuinely good at what he does, and can (if you listen carefully) establish the same profoundly emotional connection with listeners that it's almost difficult to believe that it's RAP.

... I also think his albums are all brilliant, but I haven't always thought that. I didn't like the first two until a few months ago, for Christ's sake. And I know why... it's because they felt like the same old Chicago soul "backpackery" that made me think Common was a douche.

I guess I had to listen in reverse. I always go for genre benders, and I didn't even consider buying one of his albums until 808's and heartbreak.
But now I can see how the charming, relatable, underdog became an icon by sneaking innovative music in behind the curtain. His production on Diamonds was a big moment. And the last track on College Dropout. What really started it for me was listening to "Runaway" and realizing that I'd clearly been misinformed about this guy. That's when I became a big serious Kanye fan. I can only think of one or two billboard top 100 songs from the past ten years that have been that goddamn weird and awesome.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|