View Single Post
Old 07.29.2012, 11:03 AM   #16030
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99
The Dark Knight Rises still had its moments where it didn't take itself too seriously to the extent of coming off as a rigorous experience. If you take the magnitude of the sense of danger it evoked into consideration, it simply wouldn't work that well if it were as playful as The Avengers. I thought The Avengers was very cliched myself, and felt more like a gimmick, rather than something I could actually become invested in. I'll admit it's a decent film and I had fun the first time, but it isn't the kind of thing that would hold up for me.

I was fascinated by that Bane character. The first time a villain has overpowered the protagonist to this extent in a superhero film. He exemplified a great sense of where to hit... knowing the right places to attack to strike fear and pain into his targets. He nearly killed Batman, but decided not to only because he wanted his punishment to be "more severe". The whole Knightfall relation with him snapping Batman's back was cool too. I have to agree however about some parts in the beginning feeling a bit dry. I really enjoyed the scene with the little boy singing the national anthem while it was clear to the audience that a bunch of chaos would ensue... and there is a "playful" comment from Bane right before he pushes the button to make the entire field cave in, "what a lovely lovely voice!". The soundtrack was excellent as well, and I was delighted to see the return of the batcave.

Please keep the discourse going in my thread. You have a lot of good insights.

I was impressed and even a little unsettled by the Bane fight scene (pt. 1). You're right that it was a first. For once, our hero was not on control at all, and that made for a tense and even hard to watch viewing experience.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|