View Single Post
Old 11.16.2022, 12:19 PM   #14
Diesel
the destroyed room

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
I didn't know they are from Sheffield. I travel to Sheffield often because my partner is from there and he lives between London with me and Sheffield until we can settle with the dog somewhere in London. He always told me it's a shithole but it's not at all to me. I always have a good time there. One of my favourite things is going through the myriad second hand shops and I always manage to find things that in London would cost you much more. One of the best finds for me was in Kelham Island, the ''cool'' area of the city, where I found Rita Lee's biography for a few pounds in Portugese. Also, no way you can find anywhere in London the third series of Twin Peaks for two pounds (!) in pristine conditions in a charity shop. The botanical garden is stunning and Record Junkee is worth a visit to buy records. The staff are friendly, don't give a shit what you're into and have masses of records everywhere. Of course we always laugh and accuse each other of over romanticising our place of residence. Maybe I should move this post to TripAdvisor's website.

Sheffield a shithole: Ironically I thought London was a bit of dorty place when I was there a couple of months ago. Rubbish bags piled up on the streets, ultimately thanks to the IRA. The people I was with are from Spain and they were shocked at the state of the underground, the seats were black with dust. The housing was run down and had single glass windows yet when I checked the price of property in the area it would cost 250K minimum for a one bedroom in a high rise block and yet here we were in a well-off area, Islington. It felt surreal because if you come across a shabby high rise where I live It's time to turn around as you've wandered into a impoverished area and you're about to have your wallet taxed. You can buy a mansion up here for that price. The restaurants and even bars add a compulsory service charge to your bill at 15%. I did enjoy the place, for one the climate is warmer so It's possible to sit in a beer garden and not freeze your bollocks off for once, but aye, surreal place. It's grim doon south!

If you wanted to live with the benefits that capital living brings then I would suggest Edinburgh to anyone interested. I was there last month, It's basically London but set in Mordor. Tons of charity and record shops and hundreds of whiskeys available in every bar if that's your thing. There's a whiskey shop on every corner it seems and everyone is basically pissed 24/7 and stinking of scotch but nay trouble. Service charge is optional everywhere.

The closest I've been to Sheffield is Manchester. I remember the gangs of junkies overdosing in front of everyone in the main shopping district without anyone batting an eye. Also the geezer walking past me outside a pub shouting about how he was 'going to chin the next person he see's who is wearing a hawaiian shirt' as he stared right at me. Luckily I was wearing my plain shirt. Made for decent lyrics. So, if Sheffield is anything like that then it'll be canny like!
Diesel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|