View Single Post
Old 09.14.2017, 11:06 AM   #764
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Could be. Could be. I think his influence will last far longer, just like lil wayne and his influence helped create young thug and the like....

Good chance of that, I suppose. Fair enough. Thing about Thug is he tries things. He does crazy shit and doesn't give a fuck, and that's cool. I saw a meme video of him rapping, with a caption like "Rappers don't even rap about anything anymore." And, y'know, admittedly the song was about god knows what... pussy, certain kinds of food, happenstance, nonsensical rhymes... but at least it's weird.

I don't personally like him, but I can appreciate that. And I didn't like Wayne for a long time either, until Carter 2 and 3 really, but eventually I saw what people were seeing (just in time for it to disappear forever, apparently).

I just see the trajectory of his career, and in 2015 he was, like, the second coming. In 2016 he had a bunch of mixtapes that faired only sort of well, and an "album" (J3FF3RY) that a lot of critics and fans thought was peak Thug. Then 2017 rolled around, and he dropped a "singing album," and made headlines for like a day... possibly because making a "singing album" has been an uber cliché since the only "singing album" worth listening to came out 9 years ago (you know what I'm talking about.) So, maybe the fact that he was doing something so average it's almost a pre-requirement for next level rap stardom was a turn off, or maybe it just wasn't that good. But I feel the heat around Young Thug dying down significantly.

I wonder who will be the next Wayne/Thug type, to be simultaneously stupid and smart, and to challenge perceptions of street rap.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|