View Single Post
Old 11.04.2019, 05:41 PM   #64
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
well, briefly, it’s the same “privilege” rhetoric as the nun’s book, just refined, and if you in another comment claim to recognize the courage and difficulty of transitioning and the issues transpersons face, then you really have to ask—what fucking privilege is she talking about?

last i checked, trans life was reportedly very hard.

seems to me she doesn’t know what she’s talking about, not being trans herself, but her left-brain interpreter seems to be working overtime.

but if she just said “i don’t fucking know” she wouldn’t get paid to talk on tv.

btw here is germaine greer’s left-brain interpreter cooking up
a spectacular contradiction: https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...-restates-them

I guess the privilege she is talking about is the privilege of being born male in a society that favors males, whether you want that or take advantage of that personally or not. She is not dismissing the oppression or hardship faced by transwomen, although it seems that some people think that saying here are two categories of people with broadly different experiences she is participating in opression.

Here's a quote from Adichie:

"I see how my saying that we should not conflate the gender experiences of trans women with that of women born female could appear as if I was suggesting that one experience is more important than the other. Or that the experiences of trans women are less valid than those of women born female. I do not think so at all — I know that trans women can be vulnerable in ways that women born female are not. This, again, is a reason to not deny the differences.

Why does this even matter?

Because at issue is gender.

Gender is a problem not because of how we look or how we identify or how we feel but because of how the world treats us.

Girls are socialized in ways that are harmful to their sense of self – to reduce themselves, to cater to the egos of men, to think of their bodies as repositories of shame. As adult women, many struggle to overcome, to unlearn, much of that social conditioning.

A trans woman is a person born male and a person who, before transitioning, was treated as male by the world. Which means that they experienced the privileges that the world accords men. This does not dismiss the pain of gender confusion or the difficult complexities of how they felt living in bodies not their own.

Because the truth about societal privilege is that it isn't about how you feel. (Anti-racist white people still benefit from race privilege in the United States). It is about how the world treats you, about the subtle and not so subtle things that you internalize and absorb."

Anyway, I guess she is evil because she said something that some people thought was not nice and the whole issue is apparently beyond discussing.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|