View Single Post
Old 08.26.2011, 07:11 PM   #66
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
The lyrics are mostly in blank verse - tricky, but not impossible to fit into rock songs. The Fall do it with no problems in free verse. It's odd the Manics stick to straight rock 4/4 throughout the album. It's the extending of non-stressed words and the subsequent compressing of words across stresses that irritates me - it feels like Bradfield doesn't really like the lyrics but likes his own melodies and is determined to subordinate the lyrics to his idea of what they should be, rather than what they are. The big tension for me is less about 'fitting the lyrics in' but why he did such a shoddy job of it.

Youre missing the division of labour that the manics had.
Nicky Wire and Richey did all the lyrics and JDB and Sean Moore did all the music. Mark E Smith has always been intimately involved in the music of The Fall whereas Nicky Wire and Richey Edwards proudly proclaimed their inability as musicians. Whether JDB liked the lyrics or not was never an issue for me, i always saw it as two teams doing two different jobs.

Do you honestly think The Holy Bible would be a better album if James Dean Bradfield listened more to Richeys musical ideas and Richey listened more to JDB's lyrics?

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|