View Single Post
Old 06.15.2023, 06:18 AM   #25478
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses

I really liked it. I feel like this is one of those instances where the acting can make or break the storytelling aspect. It's thanks to Giamatti (snubbed hard) and Thomas Haden Church's great performances that those characters don't just come across as massive assholes, but have a few human touches here and there. It's tough to be invested in a plot involving a self-absorbed snob and a perpetual wife-cheating horndog if they don't exude something humane and likeable too. And the two managed to tread that fine line. Hell, Giamatti even managed to make me really feel sorry for the guy and somewhat root for him by the end. I'm repeating myself, but he was done so dirty by the Academy. Virginia Madsen was great too.

I was actually surprised by just how much the third installment of the series moved me. The latest Antman earlier this year was a baffling mess. And the reviews I'd read in advance were rather polarizing. There were some tonal issues here and there, but overall, Gunn's final entry in the MCU is incredibly cohesive in its thematic throughline and made with a lot of love and care. It's also quite dark - something that apparently peeved a few of the reviewers. But I think it was apt. It's quite intense at times and it needs to be. Gunn crafted a lovely and quite emotional farewell to one of his most popular creations. Warmly recommended.

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|