Thread: Low-"C'mon"
View Single Post
Old 07.08.2011, 08:25 PM   #52
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
Please don't!

Would you happen to have the MP3 of this: http://www.discogs.com/Low-Canada/master/39710

or at least this: http://youtu.be/2LyEcWxI3UQ

Yes, i have it in MP3 format, downloaded from some tracker; and also have the 7'' single but i'm unable to transfer it to .flac at the moment. Thinking about getting a better turntable in the near future.

That cover of Pink Floyd's "Fearless" is also included in the third disc of Low's collection of odds and sods, "A Lifetime Of Temporary Relief: 10 Years Of B-Sides & Rarities". One of my favorite box-sets, ever. The text below is taken from the liner notes:

-fearless -Pink Floyd cover. Recorded during the "Trust" sessions, mixed at Third Ear with Tim Herbers. We tried hard to duplicate the sounds of the original, but you could play this song on a kazoo and it would still be good.

This website offers some priceless information, which provides some context about a great chunk of Low's discography from "I Could Live In Hope" to their "In The Fishtank" collaboration with The Dirty Three (No info about "Trust" and all the other records that followed, nor about a great deal of their output of B-Sides, but it's still an interesting read if you'd care to check it out):
http://www.trustlow.com/backgrounds/all.php

I'd really recommend the box-set. I certainly think it'd be money well-spent. About 4 hours of music that documents roughly in chronological order their evolution as a band, right from their first ever demo tape (which contained an awesome version of "Lullaby") up until the time they recorded "Trust", apparently the span of time in which Low reached the peak of their greatness and then subsequently started to fall, according to certain opinions expressed by some demography of their listeners (though i don't agree one bit with that). Not only worthy in terms of tracks released as B-Sides: "Tomorrow One" and "Walk You Out", for instance, are really great in their own right. I'm glad they got released. The DVD contains three documentaries: One about Alan and Mimi's life in Duluth and Low as a touring entity, one about the recording sessions for "Trust", and the other about the humble origins of Low and The Dirty Three's record for Konkurrent's "In The Fishtank" series; as well as a large collection of their official video-clips, including a memorable alternate version of "Canada" that would lead you to believe with conviction (if you already didn't) that the repetitive nature of some of their songs is a really good thing and that if they would somehow indulge in trying to keep on playing it forever, that would be nifty. In terms of covers, Pink Floyd is not the only sacred beast they dare to touch. Here are covers of Spacemen 3's "Lord, Can You Hear Me?", Bob Dylan's "Blowin' In The Wind", The Smiths' "Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me", Tom T. Hall's "...I Love", and Wire's "Heartbeat", for instance, as well as a swell one of The Bee Gees' "I Started A Joke" -my love for Mimi Parker's voice is immense. They are great even in moments when they're ripping somebody off (unintentionally, of course), the guitar riff on "Turning Over" sounds a lot like Metallica's "One", and the result is far from atrocious, despite the fact that Alan Sparhawk's opinion implies that appropriating that riff didn't do Low any good.