View Single Post
Old 02.27.2016, 09:40 PM   #31
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I also think this "proof" Gira's wife is alluding to is strange. Yes, why mention that you have proof without saying what that proof is?

That's a technique US cops use to scare people into confessing to things they haven't done. If you've got proof of something, use it or don't talk about it.

Also, I'm sure I don't need to point out that there's no way to prove that something didn't happen. Even if the entire thing was on film, anf Grimm was saying, "please have sex with me right now," it wouldn't prove that Gira never raped Grimm. It wouldn't even prove that he didn't raper her that very night. "Rape" is a term that is in constant flux and evolution. In many cases, women who are legitimately raped don't realize that they've been raped until they've had time to process the event. Often victims struggle with the admission that something no right happened. Sometimes they give consent and later claim they gave it but didn't want to, which complicates things even more. The incident becomes "clearer" in the mind of the victim after time.

But therein lies part of the problem. Memory is malleable. Memory never gets better or more reliable as time passes. Throw in the fact that she was blind drunk and it get even stickier.

She mentions having had therapy in the months and years following the event. Well, as much respect as I have for the field of psychology as a scientific endeavor, the clinical branch of it is flawed beyond belief. This is a well established fact. Even the most ethical and professional therapist can alter their patients' thought and memories and beliefs, because no mater how well trained a clinician may be, s/he is still human, and still brings their biases into the session. Those biases are then projected onto the memory and perspective of the patient, and all objectivity is lost.

It's fucked up that this conversation has become so convoluted. It should be simple. In a perfect world, if a woman said she was raped, nobody would question her, because in a perfect world people would be sane, people would have picturesque memories, and nobody would lie. Actually in a perfect world rape wouldn't be a thing. But that's neither here not there.

It's not a perfect world though. I believe people should tread carefully around accusations of sexual assault and rape unless the incident can be verified, because it's just going to bring a lot of hate to the front door of both the accuser and the accused. This should be done in private. With lawyers present.

Facebook needs to go away forever. It's done nothing good for anyone but the folks who have the Social Network soundtrack. And Zuckerberg, I guess. Kill it. It needs to die.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|