View Single Post
Old 06.22.2007, 06:46 AM   #12
sarramkrop

It always sounded like a cartoon-like album, but not of the entertaining variety. That's possibly because it is so feted as this amazing achievement in pop music, when it is simply the most visible example of it at the time. Part of this I blame on those rotten sixties journalistic notions that say that the music industry was much more innocent at the time, when the very idea of an innocent music industry is only accepted by drugged-out hippies, and unneccessary romantics. The Beatles weren't certainly more creative than other people making music at the time. The Velvet Underground were the commonly known alternative to all that flower power bollocks, but even their second album sounds a little weak compared to what came after, and i love the Velvets. Perhaps it's the fact that these classic albums served their time and influenced many bands that went on to produce great music, but it's been a while now that their influence has become counterproductive to good music making, I'd say something like over 15 years or so. This is not to say that good music hasn't slipped through the net anyway, but those bands that sat down for too long thinking that having all the 'right' records in their music collections would automatically enligthen them as to how great music is produced, don't seem to last for very long or make a significant impact on the history of music.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|