View Single Post
Old 12.12.2018, 11:57 AM   #820
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
Acid Rap is one of the best "rise to fame" projects of the decade.. along with ASAP Rocky's "LiveLoveASAP", Kendrick's "Section 80" and Frank Ocean's "Nostalgia Ultra".

Coloring Book is.. good, but not quite the classic I thought Chance would make. The super happy sounding stuff require a certain mood and at this point I'm a bit tired of that style he developed and find it a bit contrived. And he wasn't really rapping his ass off like he did on Acid Rap.

Care for Me is similar to "untitled unmastered" in a sense, intense rapping with beautiful jazzy instrumentation.. Saba is definitely a big Kendrick fan.

At first, as you remember, with Coloring Book, I was like, “Whoah!” Then I was like “ughhhh.” But I acrually revisited its sappier songs this year, and they’re quite sad. Like “Smoke Break” and “Same Drugs.” Killer stuff, and hard to listen to.

But yeah, he doesn’t rap his ass off and I know for a fact that he can. But “Coloring Book” was like the answer to the question, “What would happen if you took the TLOP concept of gospel-driven rap and removed all the experimental eccentricities and made it borderline unbearable at times?”

Still.. the songs are good.
I think Acid Rap is better than Section.80, even though it has nothing as good as “Fuck Your Ethnicity” or “HiiiPower.” I’d like to see him make another album with that sound, but ... maybe have it be an album this time?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|