View Single Post
Old 05.13.2014, 02:51 PM   #74
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
I hate saying this but I'm really deterred by all the hyperbolic bullshit surrounding this record that even gira himself seems to be playing into. never wanted to be one of these people but the bandwagon-jumpers who hopped on at the seer are really infuriating me with their 'my they're oh so scary' comments and adjectives ripped directly from pitchfork reviews. really I just don't get how these people listen to sky fucking ferreira and swans. is there not a really distinct disparity between the two? I'm all for diversity and shit or whatever but, to be frank, I'm insulted by shared tastes with these fuckwits.
I love Swans and I'm really looking forward to seeing them live but I have a problem with some of the ''oh so frightening'' doomy aesthetics which seem to surround their music and charisma. I used to think, stupidly, that this may be because, no matter what, I feel detached and faggy when it comes to addressing some of the issues they do in their songs, but I came to the conclusion it's probably just a way of thinking about them in a different way and being super guarded when it comes to pomposity in rock music. There is definitely a certain element of pomposity in Michael Gira, but then again he seems like a pretty lucid, engaging artist in the way he makes music and talks about it. He could easily end up being a Bob Dylan type of pompous character, but he seems to get it just about right in the new Swans incarnation. One of the things that often grates on this new record is his voice. wtf is that bluesy treatment it seems to get on some songs? White people sound terrible and dishonest when they sing in a bluesy voice.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|