Thread: Teenage Riot
View Single Post
Old 01.31.2011, 04:50 PM   #16
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

keep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I fundamentally disagree with your general point but agree that the sampler poses an interesting problem in terms of its status as a musical instrument. It's not something people 'play', as they would a piano or guitar, but programme. Whether that makes any real difference, though, I'm not sure; you're still effectively processing and creating sounds to be used in a musical way, only not in real time. It's the same question for drum machines compared with regular drums. Is a person who programmes patterns into a drum machine any less a musician than a person sitting playing a kit? The dictionary definition of a musician is someone who composes, conducts or performs music. A person solely using step-time instruments may arguably not be performing but they're certainly composing - as well as creating.

yeah, i write music down on paper and people seem to respect that as a manner of music creation and personally i don't see why a sampler or computer is any less "real" than notation

as much as i sort-of like rock music, i don't remember willingly listening to it in a social situation for many years(with the exception of rock events of course). dubstep,reggae and rap are indeed much better for that

imo the worst teenagers are the ones who think floyd(shit),zeppelin(shit) the rolling stones(shit) and various other classic rock(mostly shit) are simply the best music ever created and music sucks now. generally having long hair and liking drugs, i've only been out of a highschool about 5 years and the thoughts of the 60s obsessed teenagers still make shudder
keep poppin pimples is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|