View Single Post
Old 01.09.2019, 07:51 PM   #50692
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Yeah man.

It’s also just quite generally under-appreciated. I mean, folks will go on about albums by Yo La Tengo from this period, or droney sounds from across the pond, but I almost never see or hear anyone give credit to Bowery Electric.
Unsung I guess is the word. “Beat” is certainly one of the best and most striking records of the late ‘90s.

YLT? wtf

that’s a terible comparison

yo la tengo uses drone and noise and improvisation but they mainly do, you know, SONGS. like, shit you can sing to, with evident catchy pop melodies.

if you’re talking bowery electric’s first album, that sounds more like bardo pond, and yeah bardo pond gets great word of mouth around here and for good reason. but they did it first and they’re from THIS side of THAT pond anyway.

if you’re talking about BEAT, then okay, they’re trip hop tinged and that’s going to invite transatlantic references, yeah, for obvious reasons.

don’t mean to shit on them, but you sideways shitting on ylt or their fans for vague commonalities is both misguided and unfair. agh! APPLES AND ORANGES.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|