View Single Post
Old 04.09.2010, 04:25 AM   #54
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
you need to catch up on some Joseph Campbell to get a better understanding of the true purpose of myth/religion in culture, you have quite a misunderstanding. The historicity of myth is irrelevant in fact, to the overall purpose of transmitting culture through the active experience of myth. For children and adults alike mythology and religion are not events in the history book, they are active in the third-eye imagination of the present, helping to guide, explain and give purpose and meaning to present and future. Myth provides identity, significance, and meaning to many things, and by the way, in very positive psychological and sociological ways. Myth is not merely a control mechanism of various authorities, myth dwells in the believer not the deceiver, and in the life and mind of the believer it is not the historicity, but the substance. Catch up back on your Campbell, you will get blown away and never look at religion the same. It is not about dogmatism, it is about awareness.

By the way the age group I am referring to is around 8-13, who are most definitily children (just talk to them and see) and yet by no means believe in fairies and magic...
I've studied the area in depth. At college as well as studying Psychology I took a separate course in Child Psychology, as well as Sociology, Philosophy, History and Religious Studies (there, you made me look like a twat). I've also had an interest in religion and mythology (as well as American history and politics - my degree is in American History) and in particular evolutionary biology and most recently the connection between human evolution and religion.

I'm not trying to sound like a twat. I just thought I'd get the "you don't know what you're talking about" childishness out of the way. I may not agree with you but it's a subject I probably know enough about to have a valid opinion about.

I'll be getting some Joseph Campbell books from the library. Thanks for the recs.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|