View Single Post
Old 05.21.2015, 12:15 PM   #46639
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
I disagree. Erick is not only a good writer but he also writes about music he knows a thing or two about with humour and without taking himself too seriously. He's very involved in underground DIY music either booking tours for other bands or by playing himself. Severian's writing, on the other hand, is an amalgam of journalistic clichés and tedious generalisations with results that read too pompous and poorly researched not to be involuntarily amusing.

I kinda beat you to that burn when I acknowledged that I sound like a critic, and called my writing disingenuous, and even hateful (still scratching my eyes out over that "must have" bullshit).

But hey - I'm not saying I like my music writing. Nobody else is either. It's empty propaganda, but I like telling people about music. The most efficient way to do that is to draw up a couple hundred words about what the music sounds like using clear and universal terminology.

Also - I come by this shit honestly. My father's family is made up completely of journalists, editors, reporters and writers, with the exception of one clinical psychologist, who is the only person I can have a conversation with in the whole bunch. I was pushed into a journalism major when I first went off to college (back when newspapers, y'know, existed). I went back for a science degree when I realized how fundamentally flawed the system was, and how depressing and opportunistic careers in the media could be.

Regarding your buddy's astonishing credentials, I've got news: it's not hard to be part of a scene. Especially an "underground DIY" scene. You know this.

I'm tempted to ask the board at large to give a quick show of hands if they haven't been "very involved in underground and DIY music" at some point. It's not a rare thing, to play music or be otherwise active in a scene, especially among users on a Sonic Youth discussion board.

You make it sound like it's some trial by fire that only the truly worthy can handle. Uhh it's not. I played in multiple bands, and ran an analogue studio and venue out of my basement with some of my fellow musicians. Yeah, it was in a past life, but plenty of those folks are still making music, running venues, booking bands and so on, to this day.

That doesn't make me any kind of authority on anything. It just means that I, like most music fans, chose to try my hand at making the stuff for a while. So get over it. Get over yourself and all the insane old school cred you and your buddies have. It really makes you sound like a stripe-counting little cunt. Like someone who's more interested in image than in music.

I mean, what's next? Calling people posers? You're ridiculous.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|