Thread: RIP Adam West
View Single Post
Old 06.17.2017, 10:14 AM   #8
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Adam West was my batman for the longest. I loved how he was a true moral compass. superheros are supposed to be that. the morally grey superhero shit is a slippery slope in storytelling, leading to the acceptance of murderers and sociopaths as heroes. They are NOT heroes. Batman was a hero because he had a strict moral code. he would never ever kill, because that would make him the same as the murderer that orphaned him. superman would always save lives, because he knew he had the power to do so, and no one else did. Spiderman learned this becaus through his inaction he allowed his uncle to be killed.

the Punisher was an anti-hero, not meant to be emulated, but pitied.

I hate how the Frank Miller Batman (a what-if? response to the question of what happens when Batman gets old and his efforts appear to not achieve the ends he wanted) is used to excuse the sociopath angle on the new batman films. In Dark Knight returns He becomes more of a violent vigilante, but he still did not kill, not even the Joker, who kills himself by twisting his own broken back.

Thanks for telling me a bunch of stuff about Batman that I didn't know.

Just kidding. I know all this stuff and so much more.

And Adam West did a great job as Batman for that era. The '60s were corny as fuck for everyone, and Batman got down and corny too. People will tell you "corny, campy" Batman "isn't Batman," but ... he kinda was, at least for a while.

Frank Miller's Batman (barring, possibly, the fantastic Year One) should not be used as fodder for Bat-daptations, because the Mad Max-type dystopian Batman represents the actual long-term character even less than the campy '60s guy. Darker is probably better when you're going for Batman, but that doesn't mean it needs to be more violent... the villains are violent. Batman is violent, but he certainly doesn't shoot the fuck out of people.

Adam West was my man when I was a kid. I didn't realize how stupid that show was until much much later. But it meant something to be for a long ass time.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|