View Single Post
Old 09.11.2007, 12:52 PM   #5
Ryan Wynnss
empty page

Ryan Wynnss kicks all y'all's assesRyan Wynnss kicks all y'all's assesRyan Wynnss kicks all y'all's assesRyan Wynnss kicks all y'all's assesRyan Wynnss kicks all y'all's assesRyan Wynnss kicks all y'all's assesRyan Wynnss kicks all y'all's assesRyan Wynnss kicks all y'all's assesRyan Wynnss kicks all y'all's assesRyan Wynnss kicks all y'all's assesRyan Wynnss kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by akesin
You are 100% correct that the plan was for Thurston to play this show on saturday in improv trio form with his brother and Moloney. Other guests are always possible but this is definitely NOT Thurston playing songs from the new record. Unfortunately, someone posted extremely cheesy flyers around the valley suggesting that this was a record release party for "Trees Outside the Academy" by Thurston Moore(of Sonic Youth) in big letters and we have requested that they now go and take these flyers down.

Ugh. I'm the person who made the flyers/set up the show with the club. The flyers were and are cheesy. If I were to see them and not be the person who created them, motivated by appeasing the club by bringing people in (no financial gain for myself involved, just discomfort from using someone else's space for shows that are often poorly attended, when they're hoping to sell beer), I would absolutely hate them.

When Thurston playing was brought up to me about a month ago by someone from Flywheel who's in touch with Thurston regularly, someone whom I completely trust, what was said to me was something to the effect of: "The new album's coming out, and he wants to do a show in the valley around then, later he's going on tour." That established my impression of what the show was supposed to be. He, too, was just going on what had been said to him at that point, which I think he was trying to make sense of himself.

Since then, that same person said to me via e-mail, "Yes, Thurston is confirmed", and Dana of Ecstatic Peace!, also via email, wrote, "I think Thurston intends to play." As you can see, the followup wasn't very specific or detailed, and in one instance relatively uncertain, but there was nothing to contradict my initial understanding of what the show was intended to be. I had no reason not to believe that "album release party" was the logical way to promote it, going on what I had been told. Had I had the correct information, had I not been completely left in the dark, appropriate flyers would've been made; I know how Thurston approaches playing local noise/improv gigs. No deceit was intended.

It was miscommunication and/or a complete lack of communication. It would've been nice to know. It would've been nice if someone had gotten the correct info to me earlier. I kinda wish this show never came up, because I don't need this bullshit.

I'll take the "wrong" flyers down as time allows. Not gonna ditch work for it or anything.
Ryan Wynnss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|