View Single Post
Old 06.09.2012, 04:01 PM   #16139
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99
I guess it isn't possible to tell you why the film is "so good" and expect you to agree with it. It's a subjective enjoyment I got out of the experience. I was moved by Fellini's symbolism.... and the opening scene of the helicopter carrying the statue around with no music also did something for me. The fountain scene is another I'll always cherish... scenes I would call "iconic". But like I said, I've never believed (perhaps with at least a modicum of exceptions) in describing to people why a piece of work is good or bad, as it's obvious you either like it or you don't.

There's no actual plot... and it feels like it's about to get messy and come off as "aimless". But the message is simple, the characters and their materialistic ways make their lives seem glorious on the surface, but their true nature is that of anguish. It has the cynicism of many of his works but combines enough humor and I suppose hope as well. Mastroianni's character and the act where he encounters his father as they go to the cha cha club is another moment I enjoyed very much. There's always this feeling of being in a dream when I watch something by Fellini and sometimes it's even difficult to put my finger on why it is in particular scenes. There's an honesty I admire and I feel like most of his releases, if not all, emanated from a great deal of inspiration. He's one of my favorites and always will be. The film follows an entire week into the world of the protagonist and I guess I really like that world.

How many times have you seen it?

Only once, and honestly I didn't even bother finishing it. Which is a crime, I know. I definitely at least got 3/4 of the way through though.

I don't think the symbolism really spoke to me at all, and I never really picked up on the dreaminess of it, like with 8 1/2. But I can see where you're coming from. The fountain scene and that statue do stick out in my mind, but I cna't remember much anything else.

Funny how what you took as dreamlike and beautiful, I took as boring events in a fancy pair of high heels. Like literally, that is odd to me. ha I'd like to think I can agree with you more times than not. I do appreciate hearing what you liked about it though. Maybe I'll try and go into it with new eyes. I am a bit older than when I previously watched it.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|