View Single Post
Old 10.06.2015, 03:13 PM   #4135
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
The ownership is burdensome, but I'm also being more honest with myself. I chose to admit that I probably won't be doing an in-depth study of Hegel in this lifetime, so the volumes of his stuff and all the commentary are sitting around for no good reason. Just an example. Time for "I might read this someday" to be seriously challenged.

right... same thing about re-reading things you know you won't-- like a bunch of comic books/graphic novels i sold cheap.

this has been mentioned by various comedians etc but we often use our bookshelves as social badges-- trophy cases-- taxidermied prey-- whatever. for show only. "look at how smart i am."

the truth is that-- if we're reading it, it's in our hands, if we read it, not a lot of reasons to keep it, if we haven't read it yet we probably won't get through that very large pile. yes there are books one reads and rereads-- but how many are they?

if you ever decide to go and study hegel after all, just go to the university library and have at it.

i'd rather not own any books at all. my dream is to be able to pay a subscription for monthly entrance to the Library of Babel (the one dreamed up by borges and realized by the internet). all the books are there-- always accessible from anywhere. the system keeps your notes and bookmarks, and you can cancel or suspend and renew whenever, and take with you everywhere.

that. that. that. be here already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Burdensome is my wife's clothing, purses, and shoes!!!!!!!!!

famous last words...
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|