View Single Post
Old 09.06.2011, 02:33 AM   #62
cars_willkillyou
stalker

cars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's asses
I originally went to an art school my freshman year. Then pretended to take a class a communtiy college once a year to satisfy my parents while I developed my tolerances for drugs and alcohol. Now, I'm 24 and working on an aa degree. While there were many other factors and circumstances I won't elaborate upon, both personal and financial (and legal) I gotta say that while at times I am disappointed with my decisions to put off education, I also have a much stronger resume, as well as life and work experiences in many fields. I can bar tend, cook in 4 star restaurants and below, drive a fork lift, repair canoes, and fix most engine problems on most cars.

But another reason I have taken so long to get my degree is because I simply love learning. I am not too fond of our education program and process here in the usa, but I love learning about new and old topics, having an overall and well rounded knowledge of any and everything. I can use poems and oil paints to express the life cycle of eudicots and monocots. Not that I would, but the point is, I could, thanks to what I have learned in college. My only real incentive to graduate is a piece of fucking paper that might get me a higher salary. But in this market/economy, where 9/10 bachelor degree graduates can't find a job, why should I rush?

This also ties into something that's been troubling me a lot lately: the importance of money and wealth versus a life of content (as in the contents of a book, not content as in happy...or I guess both apply). What good is a 6 figure income if you work too hard to enjoy it? A fancy house and car to show off to people? Luxurious vacations to exotic places for a week, where your only memories are from photographs? The truly wealthy man should not be determined by his finances, but rather his ability to earn a living no matter where he goes. And in order to do that, one must need a well rounded and well informed education of many studies and work experience, and the humility to accept and perform any job, no matter how "beneathe" him it may seem.

cars_willkillyou is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|