View Single Post
Old 10.25.2011, 12:05 AM   #14
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
ebert & scorsese discuss eyes wide shut:

MARTIN: I think a lot of people were looking at "Eyes Wide Shut " from the wrong angle - it's not to be taken literally. It's Manhattan as you'd experience it in a dream, where everything feels familiar but very strange. And I think "Eyes Wide Shut" is a profound film about love, sex, and trust in a marriage, about learning to take things day by day, and either accepting or ignoring whatever unpleasant truths come along. It's also a film I cherish because it puts you in the authoritative hands of an old master, with a style that flies in the face of every modern convention.

ROGER: It does. And, you know, people put it up to this test of reality as if that means anything.

MARTIN: I know.

ROGER: I got e-mail from people saying, "Well, you could see that there was an English sign in the window of one of the stores," or "It wasn't really shot" or "There's no street in Manhattan that's that narrow or doesn't have any traffic." Of course there isn't. You know, I've got news for them, "Rear Window" wasn't shot in a real city either.

MARTIN: Exactly. Exactly.

ROGER: The whole point is that you elevate the material with your style into something special. Otherwise just go out and visit New York if that's what you want to see.

MARTIN: Exactly. Exactly. And there are all kinds of clues in the film as to that in a way, because you really take a journey inside Tom Cruise's mind in a way. And this wonderful sense of sexuality and guilt and unpleasant discoveries and the journey the marriage has to take, all building up to the last line, which is a beauty.

ROGER: Yes it is. Yeah, it's a great film.

more here:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/.../41219001/1023
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|