Thread: Nevermind
View Single Post
Old 02.03.2009, 12:51 PM   #40
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Um, no, I'm not referring to listening to it 100 times, I'm referring to listening to it the first time and hearing nearly every verse-chorus-verse-chorus-guitar solo that follows the melody of the verses exactly-chorus song with a few variations here or there (but no MAJOR variations except perhaps the middle of "Drain You" and the acoustic songs). I have no problem with simple songs, and the same structure is prevalent in most Nirvana songs, but this album in particular has nothing creative going on in it except the riff in "Come As You Are" (which is a Killing Joke ripoff!) and the middle of "Drain You" and the cello in "Something in the Way". The star of the album is definitely Krist, who has some really neat bass lines here or there, and that bass distortion on "Breed" is awesome. I just find most of the riffs and songs kinda bland and dull, first listen or 100th listen, with a few exceptions.

In Utero is half an amazing album and half THE WORST SHIT NIRVANA HAS EVER RECORDED ("Rape Me"?! "Pennyroyal Tea"? "Tourette's"? All awful). Good thing the good shit is really good.

Bleach has some truly brilliant songs; so raw and nasty. That riff in "Negative Creep"... what is that? Noisey, grungey (!), a great little record.

Incesticide is b-sides and throwaways, yet somehow it's their most interesting record! Has my favorite Nirvana song on it, "Aneurysm".

Always was indifferent towards Unplugged in New York. Just don't think most of the songs work acoustically. As much as I usually jack off for the sound of guitars with holes in them, this is a dull record.

Live from the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah is awesome, except for "Heart-Shaped Box" (which I always hated) and a few other stinkers. It's got some awesome fucking songs on it; the DEFINITIVE version of "Aneurysm" and "Spank Thru" which is amongst my favorite Nirvana songs.

With the Lights Out has some truly awful shit that should've never have seen the light of day but it has some great stuff too, like "Marigold" (which had been released before but...).

Nirvana's a pretty good band, and I enjoy watching their live videos more than listening to their records.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|