View Single Post
Old 04.14.2007, 04:21 AM   #16
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
People take note - this will go down in history as the exact moment that I became middle-aged.

I felt that way mildly seeing the Blood Brothers from backstage while hanging out with Conrad from Trail of Dead (old school chum, I like his band only so-so). I could totally see what was good about the Blood Brothers, but I couldn't get it to move me. I was certain though, that if I was 20 years younger, I would probably love them the way I did Green River when I was (not that those bands sound anything alike, I'm just talking about the "young pissed off, slightly more intelligent than average, white guy" energy that is shared.)

As for what's considered "noise" these days being "infantile", I kind of figured out the other night at a house party that Crank Sturgeon played at here in PDX, what's up with that. With "punk rock" now a "jock" thing, the young rebellious kids (and I'm old enough that when I say "kids", I'm often referring to people into their twenties as much as teens) who would have been into hardcore a decade or two ago are now seemingly naturally into pure noise instead.

So there probably is something to the idea that people get into it in part to piss off others, particularly authority figures, and yes a lot of it is not very well thought out clone crap - just like was the case with hardcore. Of course you do have people who emerge from such scenes who are actually really good too. For every Minor Threat or Flipper you had untold dozens of really boring, close minded shit hardcore bands "back in the day", and so now you have the same thing for every Crank Sturgeon or Skullflower in the noise scene.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|