View Single Post
Old 02.09.2015, 09:58 AM   #18499
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Schunk
Thanks, I missed you guys, too.

The first submarines converted to carry Regulus were two WWII Gato/Balao class ships with I-400-type submersible hangars, with range sufficient for extended patrol off the coast of Japan from bases in Hawaii or Australia, so they certainly had range to reach and loiter in areas which placed targets in the USSR within range (500nm) of Regulus.
True but what about refueling issues.. either way nuclear subs were in place in short time after.. i just thought from a historical perspective the program pointed how history is not as rigidly linear as it always looks in hindsight.. the military was working on those planes since the nuclear subs weren't envisioned to be ready nearly as fast as they were.. folks invested a lot of time and money into what was essentially unnecessary but they couldn't know it.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|