View Single Post
Old 05.25.2012, 08:04 AM   #2958
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
^ Why are the Brits so invested in literature, even if the particular example ends up on the dull end of the scale?

I'm so jealous.

I mean, aren't the Booker Prizes televised, and not just on some obscure cable station? That would never ever in a million years happen here in the US.

I get the feeling that even yobs pick up a book now and then.

Am I wrong about all this? Tell me before I pack my bags and move away from this cultural cesspool.
Yes the Booker prize is televised on the BBC. It's one of the benefits of public service broadcasting. The BBC is required to produce a certain amount of output that is "intended for the public benefit rather than for purely commercial concerns." And being funded by the public it's able to show things like the Booker Prize (and the Turner Prize etc) because commercial concerns are not so important.

On the other hand it also makes utter shite like Top Gear.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|