View Single Post
Old 07.01.2013, 05:00 AM   #55
Blue Human
little trouble girl

Blue Human kicks all y'all's assesBlue Human kicks all y'all's assesBlue Human kicks all y'all's assesBlue Human kicks all y'all's assesBlue Human kicks all y'all's assesBlue Human kicks all y'all's assesBlue Human kicks all y'all's assesBlue Human kicks all y'all's assesBlue Human kicks all y'all's assesBlue Human kicks all y'all's assesBlue Human kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Point in my later reply is that are you saying EVOL & Sister era (or the eighties) are not as great as the nineties? I canīt understand if youīre saying Made In Usa great, why isnīt EVOL & Sister, because in my mind those three albums are very close together. Also Smart Bar has lots of same feelings & sounds

I think BMR - DDN is also a period of exceptional quality, I love those records. However - experienced in real time (i.e. as those releases came out) you get Into the Groovey (which I'm not keen on) which spoils the consecutive run of top releases.

Quote:
I count Made In USA to late 80's era, 'cause that's when it was recorded (just like in jazz, for example in Coltrane discography all albums are organized by recording date, not by release date) and also to me Melbourne Direct is part of O'Rourke era.

Ok, but i"m NOT talking about eras. I totally concur that Melbourne is O'Rourke era. I was just drawing an arbitrary boundary around a series of releases which, in real time, I was consistently impressed with. If you'd experienced Tranes releases as they came out, you'd have got Coltranes Sound & Ascension released within a year of each other. Stylistically from very different eras, both good records, recorded 5 years and several stylistic changes apart. This could still be viewed as a run of releases. A massive reason why jazz discogs are viewed by session date is the very common practice of labels releasing sides from previous sessions once an artist has moved to another label, maybe capitalising on said artists current popularity (Miles' Workin' Cookin' Steamin' Relaxin' being classic examples as Columbia essentially did all the marketing leg work for Prestige).

If the slew of archival releases everyone is hoping for do eventually surface, this chronological by session approach my be the best way to view SY's catalogue in future, especially by those who didn't experience the band at the time. But, as an uniformed 15 year old in '95, I got WM & Made in USA in the same year, and enjoyed them both - experienced in real time.
Blue Human is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|