View Single Post
Old 05.11.2018, 02:08 PM   #8
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks Share Sparkle Hard: The Movie — album making-of documentary

I wonder if Kim appears in it. Even though it's just ten minutes, I haven't watched it yet because... I'm not the biggest Stephen Malkmus fan, frankly. I own Pavement albums, I like a lot of what's in 'em. I dug the Jicks when Janet Weiss was the drummer. But in general, sometimes the derivativeness is too damn much — mainly The Fall, of course (large chunks of the style, the gnomic scribbling, the MES "dancing" [I could swear I've even seen Malkmus in an argyle sweater vest, but that might be fake news]; there's even a song called "The Hexx" for fuck's sake), but also some Swell Maps copied down to a T... And then the bloody Zappa-ish solos, which are a no-to-the-no in my book.

My favorite Makmus record is the one in which he simply covered Ege Bamyasi in its entirety, which says it all about my deeming of the guy's work, really.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|