View Single Post
Old 02.16.2008, 07:59 AM   #67
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn Curtain
I don't get the Sinatra reference.

Frank Sinatra cannot hold a note; his voice is always (bearing in mind I like Sinatra and have several albums of his) flat. This isn't necessarily a bad thing - he is 'tonally wayward' though. If you can hear it, you won't stop hearing him being flat. It's a bit like when you listen to the van Halen solo Beat it and you notice that he is all over the show in these horrifically dissonant intervals (I think there's pitch-shifting involved). Until you've heard it, you don't notice it, when you do it's a different song forever.

I hope everyone is pulling out their copy of Beat it at this point.

Dido does the same trick, plus there's no body to her voice whatsoever. I can't stand her, but I don't think this immediately makes her awful. Stina Nordestraum [sp?] has no body to her voice, but she's amazing.

On the other hand, there's someone like Shane McGowan, whose timbre is as shoddy as a tar-gargler's, but his pitch is spot on.

I have observations on voice/ they are not prescriptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|