Thread: autechre - exai
View Single Post
Old 06.02.2016, 07:40 AM   #33
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
I do sort of miss that approach they were applying into the early-mid 00s where there was something more architectural to their sound, I guess? as if they were working with similar sounds/melodic structures/constructions but testing them texturally and through the prism of different spatial concepts, obviously reaching a peak in draft (untilted with a very dry, live sound, confield something slightly more evasive in description but hitting that distinction between hyper-mechanical and striking naturalism). the recent output (oversteps and thereafter) seems quite insular, like they've worked out what they want to be doing and are burrowing deeper and deeper into that. they've achieved the sound and are now rolling all these different angles together into a hulking mass; similar atmospheres but progressively eradicating the notions of structure and overall presentation. they seem to be at the end of their trajectory and know exactly what they're doing and have the means of achieving it, like the last 25 years have been a process of discovery and they've finally worked out how to distill their collaboration into discrete parts. magnificent to watch them going at it the way they are right now.

^ this.

Really though, I love it. I love Elseq. I'm not sure I prefer it to Exai necessarily, but I don't think the comparison really needs to be made. It's very much its own thing.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|