View Single Post
Old 11.03.2007, 11:28 PM   #88
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster_bebop_junkie
...The formula for grunge rock music at its best...

you hit the nail in the head why this album has a big influence on people, and it also points out it's short comings.

Quote:
Well, Nirvana's music was revelatory for quite a lot of people (Not that they were consciously trying to), hence its social impact on american pop culture. Sonic Youth, Jane's Addiction and some other bands could have been better but Nevermind (unintentionally)has much more of an impact on kids and that's why it's always on the Best Records Ever lists every single time any magazine feels the need to gain money using that cliche.

personally, nirvana never seemed to me so revolutionary, i never really so such a big difference between them and, say, metallica at the time, just different haircuts and different ways to make music. jane's addiction kinda were the first "alternative" band i've ever heard, again they weren't that radical but they always seemed more out of it and more, and this is an afterthought, psychedelic than what i was listening to, which gave them a different angle of perception.

besides, if you read or listen to interviews at the time, they were more conscious about their impact and their intentions of fame than they later led on to.

Quote:
Nah. "Beans" gotta be the worst Nirvana song ever.

That doesn't mean "Rape Me" is actually awesome, though. In fact, it's not even a highlight on In Utero (Musically-wise. Because it actually rained shit all over it because of that Wal-Mart drama, so it actually gained attention even though it was for the wrong reasons)... And quite honestly, it doesn't really seems like the band was trying to make it into a hit and change the world's minds. It's probably just an attempt of them to be ironic, at which I suppose it did not succeded. Or probably they were just trying to piss off those morons at MTV. If that was the case, Nirvava achieved a little something by writing (and performing) "Rape Me".

but most morons love that fucking song!!! it's like their favorite along with smells like teen spirit. it's like one of their laziest and most self conscious songs and that combination just doesn't work. it's a dumb dumb dumb song. and to be fair, i haven't heard all or most nirvana songs, but it's certainly on the top of their worst.

Quote:
Now you need to have some bootlegs. Of course there's a whole lot of shitty quality boots, but there's also a lot of gems. And the best aspect of Nirvana's music is actually on the bootlegs, not on their official records.

I suppose you could buy some of 'em at El Chopo or something....

....That is, if you are interested in wasting away your money.

onemoresolo is the place to download Nirvana shit. There's plenty of goodies lately:

www.onemoresolo.net

Oh, and yep, yep, yep. Albini's work on In Utero is awesome despite the fact that he's always trying to mantain his oh so precious indie cred (I assume) by trying so hard to stay the fuck away from his own magnificent work recording Nirvana.

yeah, i won't buy dime a dozen downloaded cd-rs there, fucking rip offs...they used to have good stuff that couldn't be found anywhere and now all they do is download that crap, print a cover and charge 10 times what they invest.

albini's method of recording is not for indie cred (if that was the case, the man would only record classic angular riff heavy indie punk of the 90's and would have been unemployed for a decade now), his method is to let the band handle the music and feel relax on their own while he gets them the most violent or lively sound they can...if anything, it's more obvious that nirvana made suggestions to albini to dirty up their sounds...i mean, listen to in utero and then listen to jawbreaker's 24 hours revenge therapy, both recorded in the same year and 24hrt sounds a lot cleaner (if just as or more vicious) than in utero.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|