View Single Post
Old 02.15.2010, 02:36 PM   #21
verme (prevaricator)
100%

verme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
right, but the criticism here is not aimed at those holding dual nationality but at N-th generation descendents of immigrants who still make a claim so some ethnic roots.

in part, these claims are an answer to the old notion i alluded to above that being "american" is, you know, blonde, blue eyed, apple pie, mayflower cunt.

on the other hand these claims often border in the ridiculous when people use them to have some kind of identity in the mass. but still, there are cultural traits carried by generations of non-WASPs, such as going to a school run by nuns, eating kliebasa, or celebrating strange holidays that mean little in its country of origin such as "cinco de mayo"

evolove asked if these terms were commonly used outside the u.s. and that's what i answered to.

as for what you are referring to, i can understand the criticism.
in my opinion it depends on the level of cultural engagement with the roots one still holds, rather than the psyhical appearence or level of descent.
if it's strictly a genealogical thing it doesn't make much sense.
verme (prevaricator) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|